Although to most people they will appear similar, most cruise companies are quite different. Some provide structured dinner, while other lines will advertise themselves as being freestyle cruises. Some of the cruises out there are family-oriented and quite affordable to most pockets, while other ones are pretty expensive and mostly exclusive. It is important to select a cruise line which you feel will work for you because otherwise sooner or later you will feel unhappy with your choice.
1. Research only cruises that are within your price range. Most travelers may want to get on board a Crystal cruise ship, but those types of cruises are usually more expensive than a Princess, Norwegian or Carnival cruise.
2. Choose your point of departure as well as your destination. Cruise companies will have ships that leave from specific cruise ports; if you are interested in skipping the airplane flight and have your departure from somewhere close to your home, your research should be based on which cruise lines will leave from your nearest location. Search on their official websites for ports or destinations for determining whether a cruise company can offer a cruise with your specifications.
3. Decide between a fun cruise and an upscale one. For upscale cruises, your research should include Silversea Cruises or Crystal Cruises. For fun cruises, you can try Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Princess or Carnival.
4. Try to pick a children-friendly cruise if you know you will be taking your children or teenagers with you. Plenty of cruise companies will provide events for children and teenagers, regardless of their age. Take into account a child-themed cruise such as the one provided by Disney Cruise Line, which will most likely please your children.
5. Decide if you want a freestyle cruise or a structured one. Most cruise companies will be relatively structured: decide about your dinner time – you may schedule all your other events around the time of your dining. However, various cruise companies like Norwegian Cruise Line will feature freestyle cruising, which will allow passenger to eat when they feel like it.
6. The amenities have their importance as well. If you are not on your vacation with a fun shore trip or a great spa, add them to your list of features as well. In addition, cruise ships nowadays will provide plenty of on board amenities and customized shore trips as well.
7. Take into consideration a theme cruise. Such cruises will include plenty of music and live entertainment. you will not be able to choose your line by yourself since the theme cruise has already done that for you, but you are likely to meet many other travelers with similar interests.
8. Think for a moment on days spent on board the ship versus those spent docked at ports. If you are interested in adventure, select a cruise ship which will spent a lot of days docked. For a more relaxing vacation, choose a cruise which will spend more days at sea.